plan to rebuild lives, now before all stake holders
17, 2005 - 07.45 GMT]
President Chandrika Kumaratunga today presented the action
plan for rebuilding the nation at the meeting of the High Level Committee
for Disaster Management. The Leader of the Opposition Mr. Ranil
Wickremesinghe and leaders of other political parties were at the
Presidential Secretariat for the meeting.
The detailed Action Plan was put together by the Presidential task force
TAFREN (Task Force for Rebuilding the Nation) over the weekend. The action
plan will be implemented after taking into consideration the valuable
suggestions and inputs of all stakeholders such as religious and political
leaders, members of the civil society and NGOs.
The document incorporates all immediate, short and long term plans for
rebuilding the nation. Some of the salient features in the action plan are
• A start up allowance of Rs. 5000 per family on presenting the tsunami
relief coupon to any People’s Bank branch.
• Partly damaged houses to be rebuilt if located in safe areas with
• Free books, uniform material, shoes, for school children.
• Electricity, telephone, water bills will be written off for those
affected by the tsunami.
• Construction 15 new townships along the south and east coast.
• BOI concessions for totally destroyed hotels.
The President is scheduled to meet representatives of all NGOs later this
afternoon[Monday 17th] at the President’s Office. She has directed that
the plan should be put into operation by the end of January.
Contact Information: Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments about this web site.
Date: January 17, 2005 - 07.45 GMT