News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 3.53 GMT

Govt bans LTTE

 

The Government yesterday proscribed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) effective midnight for using civilians as human shields in uncleared areas and endangering their lives, despite requests by the government to release them.

The unanimous decision was taken by the Cabinet in accordance with a memorandum submitted by President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

President Rajapaksa on December 22 called on the LTTE that to release all innocent Tamils it is holding hostage, in bondage and using them as human shields, with the dawn of 2009, and allow them to come to the safe areas provided for them by the Government and the Security Forces.

"Failure to do this would lead the Government to proscribing the LTTE with all its consequences for the terrorist organization and Year 2009 also see the wiping out of LTTE terrorism from the pages of history," said the President addressing religious dignitaries, ministers, senior administrators and leading members of the private sector to thank them for the cooperation extended to the government in last year and to inform them of the progress of the military operations against the terrorism of the LTTE and state of the economy of the country.

SLFP General Secretary Minister Maithripala Sirisena at a media briefing summoned yesterday said that the proscription was enforced under Chapter 40 of the Public Security Ordinance.

The LTTE continued to recruit children and women against their will, and also kept denying free movement of civilians using them as a human shield, leaving no option for the Government but to go for a ban said Minister Nimal Siripala De Silva.

He further said that the proscription did not mean that the Government had closed the door for negotiations, but would engage in dialogue if the LTTE comes to the table after laying down weapons.

Minister Mahinda Samarasinghe urging the LTTE to release trapped civilians in Vanni emphasized that Sri Lanka with this action had reiterated it’s call to international community to condemn using civilians as a human shield.

He further said that the Government would continue to provide all possible assistance to civilians who are been forcibly kept by the LTTE.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Rohitha Bogollagama emphasised that the Government’s action had portrayed that Sri Lanka continued to play a crucial role in the world agenda in combating the menace of terrorism.

He also added that 32 countries had banned the LTTE and the Government decision to proscribe the outfit would further hinder it’s capability to garner support locally as well as internationally for their terror acts.

Defence spokesman Minister Keheliya Rambukwella on the occasion emphasised that Sri Lanka had formally joined the world order in effectively contributing to dismantle the infrastructure of terrorism.

The LTTE was first banned in Sri Lanka in 1998, after it bombed the Dalada Maligawa. The ban was lifted in September, 2002, ahead of the peace talks following the Ceasefire Agreement.

 

Related News >>

Free innocent Tamils or face ban - President to LTTE






 


 
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: July 22, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.