|
The Government yesterday (Jan 12)
reiterated that it was fully prepared to
handle the mass exodus of civilians from
Wanni, and Vavuniya was being readied as a
humanitarian assistance hub to cater to
their needs.
"Arrangements are underway to provide
relief for those coming from uncleared areas
seeking shelter and safety," Resettlement
and Disaster Relief Services Minister
Rishard Bathuideeen said.
With the fall of Kilinochchi and Elephant
Pass to government troops, the LTTE has
forced the Tamil population in these area to
Mulativu, and are reportedly holding them
hostage as a human shield for its military
operation.
According to Ministry sources, 1,168
persons have sought refuge with authorities
and they have been housed in Menik farm and
Nelumkulama welfare center in Vavuniya.
Authorities have also taken steps to
clear an 80 acre land in Vavuniya to
construct temporary shelters.
The displaced have been provided with
cooked meals, dry rations, drinking water,
health and sanitary facilities. Electricity,
cooking utensils, clothes, infant food are
also being provided, they added.
Ministry Secretary A. C. M. Razik said
yesterday that the Government had already
allocated Rs.30 million as an initial sum to
expedite relief measures through the
Government Agent in Vavuniya.
During the past two days, over 200
displaced people have sought refuge with the
military at various destinations in the
northern front and according to reports many
others are on the way despite Tiger threats
to deny them safe passage.
However, there were reports of LTTE
intimidation as they desperately tried to
keep civilians from fleeing the uncleared
areas even going to the extent of shooting
those who defied their orders, as
demonstrated in the killing of seven
civilians on Saturday.
But with military laying siege on the
final LTTE frontier, authorities said they
expect a mass exodus in the coming weeks.
They said that a safe passage had been
prepared for the civilians fleeing Tigers to
reach Vavuniya.
According to independent verifications,
the number of displaced who are being
forcibly kept in Vanni by the LTTE is
between 150,000 to 250,000.
|