|
At least 29 people including 10 civilians
and 19 Security Forces personnel were killed
and 64 others including 40 civilians were
injured when an LTTE woman suicide bomber
blew herself at an IDP welfare centre, North
of Visuamadu in Mullaittivu last morning.
According to defence sources the female
suicide bomber had mingled with a group of
civilians who were seeking protection with
security forces. The bomber blew herself
before being screened, the reports further
said. Women and children are said to be
among the many reported killed and injured
in the suicide bomb blast, security sources
said.
Earlier, the LTTE used a 13 year old child
suicide bomber targeting 55 division troops
in Chalai on February 4.
Mr. Basil Rajapaksa, Member of Parliament
and Senior Advisor to the President said
President Mahinda Rajapaksa and the
Government of Sri Lanka strongly condemned
this suicide bomb attack by the LTTE, which
was carried out against Internally Displace
Persons who have fled from areas of
Mullaitivu while taking refuge in one of the
centers. This brutal attack has claimed the
lives of civilians, as well as causing
serious damage to infrastructure and also
injuries to civilian bystanders.
Presidential Advisor Basil Rajapaksa pointed
out that the Government will never succumb
to the fascist designs of the LTTE, and is
now more resolved and committed as never
before to eliminate terrorism from every
part of Sri Lanka. The people of Sri Lanka
stands firmly behind the security forces in
their endeavors to eradicate terrorism for
good in this nation, he said.
The International community has now realized
the true nature of the LTTE, which has once
again proved its absolute contempt and
disrespect for democracy, pluralism and
civilized values of humanity. This is
clearly an attack against humanity, he
emphasized. It is hoped that the
international community would take into
account the mind set of the LTTE and act
with responsibility and support the efforts
of the Government, with a firm resolve, to
bring to a close the ethnic crisis that has
gone on for decades, Mr. Rajapaksa added.
Meanwhile The United Nations while
condemning the LTTE suicide attack
reiterated that "LTTE must separate its
forces from civilians under its control".
US Embassy too condemned the yesterday's
attack on civilians and said the attack was
an apparent effort by the LTTE to discourage
Tamils from leaving the conflict area.
The US urged the LTTE to allow all civilians
freedom of movement.
Following is the full text of the UN
press release.
The United Nations in Sri Lanka condemns
today's suicide attack on a registration
centre for displaced people fleeing the
conflict zone. The attack killed and wounded
many civilians, including children.
Those killed had already been forced from
their homes by fighting, and had endured
terrible hardships.
The UN reiterates that civilians must be
distinguished from combatants, and protected
from the fighting. It calls once again on
the LTTE to separate its forces from
civilians under its control.
Full statement by the US Embassy
The United States condemns today’s suicide
attack on a government center that was
registering internally displaced persons who
had managed to exit the conflict area in
northern Sri Lanka. This apparent effort by
the LTTE to discourage Tamils from leaving
the conflict area killed and wounded many
Tamil civilians.
The United States calls on the LTTE to allow
all civilians freedom of movement. The
United States also urges the Government of
Sri Lanka to ensure that all IDPs who leave
the conflict area are registered and
transferred in a transparent manner to
temporary camps in accordance with
international standards.
|