News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11.00 GMT
Security Forces continues to receive civilians; ensures their safety

 

Security Forces whilst taking the necessary security precautions to ensure the safety of civilians who are crossing over to the cleared areas in Vanni would not relax the operation of receiving them, the Ministry of Disaster Management and Human Rights said.

The Ministry in a media release issued today said that yesterday's incident at a IDP welfare center in North of Visuamadu in Mullaittivu last morning which claimed 28 lives was not only designed to kill but also to discourage further attempts by the civilians to escape from the LTTE.

"Following the commitment by the President to protect those who sought refuge in government controlled areas, the number of those escaping from the LTTE had increased considerably over the previous few days. Community and religious leaders had helped in developing confidence among those who had been dissuaded previously by the LTTE violence from moving," the Ministry said.


 


 
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: July 22, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.