|
"It was time the Tamil Diaspora saw the LTTE
for what it is - a bunch of cold blooded
murderers who would kill their own Tamil
people to satisfy its lust for power on
dominance" said Minister of Disaster
Management and Human Rights Mahinda
Samarasinghe at a Media Briefing to Foreign
Journalists on Tuesday (February 10).
He referred to the two attacks on Tamil
civilians in Sri Lanka’s North carried out
by the LTTE on Monday and yesterday. On
Monday (09), a women suicide bomber of LTTE
had carried out an explosion at a refugee
registration centre killing 10 civilians and
20 soldiers and injuring more than 30. Among
the victims were women and children.
Yesterday, the LTTE attacked civilians
fleeing its diminishing area with small arms
and other shell fire killing 19 civilians
and injuring 75 others. Among those killed
in this incident were 6 women and 2
children; the injured included 27 women and
11 children.
Despite the attack by the LTTE from 6 - 7 am
at more than 1000 civilians who were freeing
LTTE captivity to safe areas held by the
security forces, 970 men, women and children
crossed to the safety of the government
control area.
Minister Samarasinghe told the international
media that the LTTE deliberately targeted
innocent Tamil civilian to trigger a fear
psychosis among those trapped in the small
area of the northern Mullaitivu District
they yet hold. “We are gratified to note
that the despite the two dastardly attacks,
the flow of civilians into government
controlled areas, he said.
The Minister reiterated the assurance given
by President Mahinda Rajapaksa to all
citizens of Sri Lanka on Independence Day
that they would be looked after, enjoying
the same rights as all others in the rest of
the country, and calling on the LTTE to lay
down arms and allow civilians to come to
areas of safety. Minister said that as of
last morning 32,000 civilians who were
trapped in the LTTE areas had crossed over
to safe areas of the government of these
24,000 were accommodated in temporary
shelters at Vavuniya, Kilinochchi and Jaffna
and 8,000 others were being screened by the
Military to be handed over to the Government
Agents.
The screening process would have to be
strengthened after this suicide attack, he
said, and more such savage attacks had to be
expected knowing the mindset of the LTTE.
Answering questions on how long the
resettlement of the Tamil civilians would
take place, Secretary to the President, Mr.
Lalith Weeratunga, said all steps are being
taken to resettle them with necessary
facilities for a safe and good livelihood
and for the training of the people in new
skills to help in future employment. Until
final resettlement, they would be
accommodated in places similar to
traditional villages and not harsh "Holding
Camps" as many reports had suggested. The
government was conscious of the need to
provide the new settlements with water,
housing, electricity, schools, police
stations and all necessary facilities as had
been done in the Eastern Province.
Mr. Weeratunga added that it was the
intention of the Government to restore
Democracy in the North as early as possible,
beginning with Local Government elections
and moving to Provincial Council Elections,
to facilitate a good and continuous dialogue
with genuine representatives of the Tamil
People.
Minister Samarasinghe emphasized that the
resettlement of people would be done in
keeping with the standards required by the
UN, UNICEF, UNDP and such organizations
ensuring the comfort and security of the
people. He said this could not be done
immediately because of the considerable time
required for de-mining the areas held by the
LTTE, which had been extensively mined.
Assistance had been sought for de-miming
from international organizations, including
those from India , and there had been a
favourable response. De-miming work had
already begun in Mannar.
Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Dr.
Palitha Kohona responding to queries about
supplies for the people in the safe zones
said there was a popular misconception that
humanitarian agencies were responsible for
the supply of food and other assistance to
the people in these areas. The fact was that
80 - 90% of all food and essentials, health
services, medicine and all such relief had
been provided by the Government of Sri Lanka
throughout this conflict and it would
continue to do to now and the future. Sri
Lanka's international partners in
humanitarian relief will complement the work
of the government, he said.
Minister, Samarasinghe thanked the UN and
other aid agencies and the ICRC for all the
cooperation extended despite certain
difficulties and possible misunderstandings,
but look forward to continued cooperation in
the larger interests of the affected
civilian population.
|