|
LTTE terrorists have prevented tens of
thousands of civilians from leaving Sri
Lanka's war zone and those trying to escape
have been "shot and sometimes killed," the
United Nations said Monday (16).
The LTTE is holding non-combatants in the
small patch of jungle in the north of the
island where they have been cornered by
government forces, it added.
The LTTE continues to actively prevent
people leaving, and reports indicate that a
growing number of people trying to leave
have been shot and sometimes killed”… adding
that the LTTE is also recruiting child
soldiers as young as 14 years old, the
statement from the UN Office of the UN
Resident /Humanitarian Coordinator in
Colombo, said.
“Fifteen United Nations staff and 75 of
their dependents, 40 of whom are children,
and 35 who are women , remain in the same
area [held by the LTTE] prevented from
leaving by the LTTE. Fifteen of these
children have contracted respiratory
diseases, a serious indicator for a
population which is now in dire need of
humanitarian assistance,” the UN Office
said.
“We are especially concerned that one staff
member was forcibly recruited into the LTTE
yesterday (Feb 15) and calls on the LTTE to
immediately release him, to desist from
further recruitment of civilians, and permit
passage for people who wish to leave,
especially women and children,” the
statement adds.
The UN office said it was acutely aware that
the suffering of the UN staff and dependents
is just on part of a much larger
picture…..their release would strengthen the
capacity of the UN to assist the tens of
thousands of people both inside the Vanni
pocket, and the approximately 30,000 IDPs
who have left for government held areas, the
statement said.
The UN said it welcomed last week's
declaration of a larger "safe zone" for
civilians along a narrow strip of coastline
in the island's northeast, but noted there
had been fighting even within that area, and
called on the Sri Lankan forces and the LTTE
to refrain from fighting in areas of
civilian concentration." The statement did
not identify who was responsible for the
fighting or attacks in the safe zone.
Tens of thousands of civilians in the
rebel-held area were experiencing serious
shortages of food, medicine, and clean
water, the UN said. "Efforts to bring in
more food and medicines have not yet been
successful, and it is imperative that these
needs be met," it added.
On Saturday, the Defence Ministry reported
an LTTE attack on a vehicle carrying people
fleeing the shrinking area still under
terrorist that killed a woman and wounded 13
people who were trying to flee.
Here is the text of the statement from the
UN office in Colombo.
|