|
Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama called
on the diplomatic corps who represent the
international community to witness the complexities of the current
ground situation in the North.
“The military has been and will continue to
be cautious in their operations in respect
of minimizing civilian casualties,” said the
Foreign Minister at a media briefing held at
the Ministry of Foreign Affairs today(18).
Foreign Minister said the eradication of
terrorism is not only welcomed by the people
in the South but also by people in the North.
“It is the duty of the government to listen
to the voice of the people and to deliver on
the responsibility entrusted to the
government by the people,” he added.
He said the government has to continue the
ongoing military operations in the North,
more importantly, to rescue the nearly
70,000 who are held as hostage by the LTTE.
“The military has achieved tremendous
successes and at present the LTTE is
confined to a rapidly shrinking area in the
Mullaitivu district”.
When asked about the No- Fire Zone, he said
the Government has shifted the No-Fire zone
to the Mullaitivu coast line. The minister
agreeing with the statement of UN
Coordinator in Colombo said the Government
also strongly condemned the despicable
practice by the LTTE of continuing to
recruit young children in armed combat.
Since March 01, last year, 35,840 civilians
have managed to flee from the clutches of
the LTTE. The Minister appreciated the
assistance from the UN and the ICRC who are
working with the government in providing
food, shelter, sanitation, health facilities
to resettle these people in a peaceful and
secure environment.
Minister also welcomed the statement made by
the Co-Chairs calling upon the LTTE to
release the civilians and lay down their
weapons.
He announced that Sir John Holmes, Under
Sectary General for Humanitarian Affairs of
the UN will be visiting Sri Lanka tomorrow
at the government's invitation to discuss ways
and means of addressing the humanitarian
issues of concern.
|