News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Friday, February 20, 2009 - 5.31 GMT
Pranab's statement at Lok Sabha
Proof of Indo-Lanka best relations

 

The statement made by Pranab Mukherjee at the Lok Sabha is a testimony of excellent relations between India and Sri Lanka today and is much appreciated by the government of Sri Lanka said Minister of Disaster Management and Human Rights Mahinda Samarasinghe.

"We are very grateful to the Indian government through its Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee for keeping the Lok Sabha informed of the actual situation in the Wanni," Minister Samarsinghe told media at the Presidential Secretariat today.

Indian Foreign Minister speaking at the Lok Sabha on Februay 18 said there are around 70,000 civilians still estimated to be trapped in an area of about 150 sq km still under control of the Tamil Tigers.

Indian Foreign Minister further said LTTE has done much damage to Tamil community and it should release all civilians and lay down arms for the interest of Tamil community.

Quoting the Indian Minister who said some of those escaping from the conflict have been caught in crossfire and, in recent incidents have been stopped and even killed by LTTE cadres, Minister Samarasinghe said that this is what the government has been telling over and over again that the Sri Lanka Army has no desire whatsoever to target civilians.

"Our fight is not with the civilians. It is with the LTTE to eliminate terrorism from the country. The Indian Foreign Minister not only has understood this very comprehensively but also communicated this understanding to the entire Lok Sbha," Minister Samarasinghe added.

He said: "From the part of the Sri Lankan government, we will keep the Indian government informed about the actual situation. We are indeed very much appreciative of this very clear statement made by the Indian Foreign Minister."

According to the Minister 35, 890 civilians have crossed over to the government controlled areas so far and to date 90 metric tons of foodstuff and medical supplies have been dispatched to Wanni.

There is another shipment leaving tonight taking another 40 metric tons of food and other essential items.

"This is a commitment the government is willing to continue with...to ensure that there is adequate food and medicine for the people coming from LTTE held areas," the Minister said.

Asked about positioning long range weapons, the Minister said the Army has taken a conscious decision not to use their heavy weapons even though the LTTE is firing with their heavy weapons.

"We will find a way to liberate civilians trapped in LTTE held areas. We are discussing with various groups about ways and means of getting them out," he said.

The Minister said the government continues to asking its bilateral partners, the UN and the Tamil Diaspora to bring about pressure on the LTTE to let go of the civilians whom they are using as human shields.

Speaking at the media briefing Prof. Rajiv Wijesinghe, Secretary General of the Peace Secretariat and the Secretary to the Ministry of Disaster Management and Human Rights said the allegations of massive civilian deaths in uncleared areas by Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and various other groups are completely being picked up from the pro-LTTE TamilNet website.




 


 
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: July 22, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.