News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Friday, February 20, 2009 - 5.31 GMT
Sri Lanka maintains position on British Special Envoy

 

The Cabinet of Ministers met yesterday decided to maintain the earlier position taken by them with regard to the appointment of Des Browne, the British special envoy to Sri Lanka.

The Cabinet met on February 12 presided by President Mahinda Rajapaksa rejected the unilateral appointment of a Special Envoy for Sri Lanka by the British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

"The Government of Sri Lanka categorically states that this appointment is in contravention of the basic principles governing international relations and the requirement for consultation and reciprocity. The Cabinet noted that neither proper procedure nor consultations had been undertaken by the British Government, prior to the said appointment which are time honoured traditions in diplomatic practice," a Foreign Ministry statement said following the Cabinet meeting.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Rohitha Bogollagama yesterday apprised the Cabinet on his discussions with his counterpart David Milliband regarding the appointment of a Special Envoy to Sri Lanka.

Foreign Secretary Milliband’s request that the position of the Government of Sri Lanka on the said appointment be reconsidered was discussed by the Cabinet. Having examined if a change of view was warranted in the context of the need for the appointment of a Special Envoy, the Cabinet decided to maintain the position initially taken on February 12, 2009.
 


 
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: July 22, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.