|
The United States is concerned over wider
implications for Sri Lanka’s security,
especially in the light of the terrorist
attack on the Sri Lankan national cricket
team in Lahore last Tuesday (3rd March 2009).
The US Assistant Secretary of State for
South Asian & Central Asian Affairs, Richard
Boucher said this responding to Foreign
Minister Rohitha Bogollagama’s remark that
the terror strike in Lahore was the first
occasion where Sri Lankan nationals had been
targeted abroad, although thousands of Sri
Lankans have lost their lives due to
atrocities unleashed by the LTTE within the
country.
This exchange of views took place when the
US Assistant Secretary telephoned Minister
Bogollagama in Colombo yesterday (6th March
2009) to express solidarity with Sri Lanka
following the near fatal attack on the Sri
Lankan cricketers in Lahore.
A Media Release from the Foreign Ministry
said that recalling the immediate reaction
to the terrorist outrage by US President
Barack Obama, Assistant Secretary Boucher
reiterated the strong opposition of the US
to terrorism. The Foreign Minister conveyed
his sincere appreciation for President
Obama’s forthright and spontaneous
condemnation of this cowardly assault on a
sports team.
US help for probe
Briefing Mr. Boucher on the discussions he
had held with Pakistani leaders in
Islamabad, including President Asif Ali
Zardari, Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani
and Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi,
during his brief visit to Pakistan in the
aftermath of the incident, Minister
Bogollagama said he was satisfied with the
assurances given by the Pakistani leadership
that no effort will be spared to apprehend
the culprits and bring them to justice.
Moreover, the Pakistani leaders had offered
to share complete details of their
investigation with the Sri Lankan
authorities.
LTTE not ruled out
The Foreign Minister said that it was not
possible to rule out the role of the LTTE in
the terror attack, given the high degree of
sophistication of the planning and the
evidence of a nexus between terrorist groups
worldwide. Assistant Secretary Boucher
offered US assistance in the investigation
that is underway, which Minister Bogollagama
deeply appreciated. They agreed to remain
engaged in this regard.
The Minister categorically expressed Sri
Lanka’s firm opposition to isolate Pakistan
in the sporting arena or in any manner
internationally over this incident.
Responding to Assistant Secretary Boucher’s
concern over the fate of the civilian
population being held hostage by the LTTE in
the tiny coastal pocket in the Mullaitivu
district, the Foreign Minister urged the US
to use its considerable influence on the Sri
Lankan Tamil Diaspora to exert pressure on
the LTTE to free the innocent civilians, in
line with similar demands on the LTTE by
other quarters of the international
community. The US Assistant Secretary
responded positively to this suggestion. He
further said that the US Government was
aware that the LTTE was firing at Sri Lankan
security forces from among the civilians,
and hoped that the latter would exercise
restraint and not take retaliatory action.
Minister Bogollagama assured him that the
security forces have always respected the
sanctity of safe zones designated by the
Government, where the civilian population
has been herded into by the LTTE, and will
continue to desist from directing
retaliatory fire at such areas,
notwithstanding the repeated provocations by
the LTTE against them, using the hapless
civilians as human shields.
The Minister also underscored the profound
concern of the Government over the plight of
the trapped civilian population who are
being forcibly held against their will and
is acutely conscious of their untold pain
and hardship. Hence, he said that despite
the almost insurmountable logistical and
practical difficulties, the Government will
continue to keep these people supplied with
food, medicine and other essential items. He
noted that the Government had enough stocks
of goods in hand, but the main difficulty
was the delivery mechanism, as these goods
had now to be sent by sea, due to land
access being denied by the LTTE. Minister
Bogollagama concluded the telephone
conversation with the US Assistant Secretary
by reiterating the Sri Lankan Government’s
firm commitment to remain fully engaged with
the international community in addressing
the humanitarian situation.
|