News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 04.54 GMT
Minister Wijesekera's condition improving

 

Minister of Posts and Telecommunications Mahinda Wijesekera who was injured during Tuesday's LTTE suicide attack at Akuressa, was in an improved condition yesterday and was recovering, Colombo National Hospital Director, Dr. Hector Weerasinghe said.

Minister Wijesekera, 66, suffered head injuries in the attack, and was airlifted to Colombo where he underwent a four hour surgery.

Hospital sources said that the life support system provided to him, had been taken off and the Minister had made significant improvement by yesterday afternoon. Dr. Weerasinghe said that the Minister had regained consciousness, and was in speaking condition. "However he remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the Neuro-Surgical Section," he added.

Meanwhile the Director of Matara hospital Dr. Aruna Jayasekera said yesterday that 26 people who sustained injuries due to the Tuesday's suicide attack were still warded in the hospital.

According to Dr. Jayasekera around 46 people had been admitted to the hospital following the blast, with a majority of them being discharged after treatment.

In addition to the remaining patients in Matara, two others were still seeking treatment at Colombo, National Hospital. According to hospital sources they were out of danger.






 


 
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: July 22, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.