News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 04.35 GMT
Government rejects OHCHR statement that supports LTTE propaganda

“Dismayed by unsubstantiated figures and comments” - Minister

 

The Government of Sri Lanka categorically rejects the allegations by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navanethem Pillay, as they are unsubstantiated, unverified and vague; only reflects the propaganda of the LTTE and its agents, and have been made without any consultation with the Government.

Minister for Disaster Management and Human Rights Mahinda Samarasinghe told a Media Briefing in Colombo, Saturday 14, that the Government was very disappointed and dismayed at unprofessional nature of the Press Release issued March 13, by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).

He sad the various allegations made by the OHCHR including the numbers that “may” have been killed and injured in the designated safe zones and conflict zones were unsubstantiated. The figures of civilians killed and injured that “may have been” killed and injured, 2800 and more than 7000 respectively, were not correct, had not been unverified by the Government, and were approximately the same as the numbers stated by the LTTE’s propaganda arm, Tamil Net, and put forward by LTTE’s front organizations and persons at present lobbying on the sidelines of the current UN Human Rights Council sessions in Geneva.

Minister Samarasinghe said that although the figures given were said to be those killed and injured from January 20 this year, the UNHCR Navanethem Pillay, who he met in Geneva last week and on a one-on-one discussion lasting nearly 25 minutes, had not mentioned any of these figures nor raised any such issues at this meeting. He added that even if she or her office had got these figures after that meeting, they had not raised this very important matter with the Sri Lankan Ambassador in Geneva, Senior UN persons in Colombo, or with the Government in Colombo, which was the proper and appropriate thing to do.

He also said the Sri Lankan Armed Forces do not target civilians, emphasizing that the humanitarian military operation now on in the north was to liberate the civilians from the armed threats and hold of the LTTE.

The mention of 2,800 killed was not professional and all too vague because there was no mention of the names, age, sex and other details of these so-called killed on which a proper study could be based, knowing well, as stated by other agencies including the United Nations, that the LTTE was holding civilians hostage, and there were confirmed reports of the LTTE attacking and killing civilians who attempted to flee its armed control and enter the safe zones and other government held areas, the Minister said.

He also said that though the figure of injured was over 7000 from January 20, 09 as stated by the OHCHR, the ICRC had transported 2,224 injured civilians to Trincomalee from February 02 to March 06, 09, as well as more than 900 others who could be minders or family members of those injured. If there were 7,000 injured as stated by the OHCHR, it was most unlikely that the ICRC which had a mandate to transport the injured, would have brought other civilians to Trincomalee leaving the injured behind. It appears the OHCHR is pointing a finger at the ICRC too in this regard, the Minister said.

Minister Samarasinghe drew attention to the failure of the High Commissioner Navanethem Pillay in making no mention whatever of the crux of the issue in the current conflict n Sri Lanka, which was the holding of civilians as hostage by the LTTE. This had been noted and condemned by many international bodies such as UNICEF, the UN High Commissioner for Humanitarian Affairs, the European Union and the UN Secretary General, too. However, the OHCHR preferred to remain silent on this matter.

He said the unsubstantiated statements by the OHCHR, by the publicity it had obtained, appeared to be aimed at slinging mud and tarnishing the image of Sri Lanka, its Government and armed forces and assist in the propaganda of the LTTE, which is now on the verge of defeat, giving the promise of freedom for the civilians held and threatened by it.

He added that as much as OHCHR has the right to listen to the subjective views and positions of other parties, it also had a duty to discuss these matters with the Sri Lanka Ambassador in Geneva who is also accredited to the UN. To issue statements without such discussion can only make them one sided and their contents questionable.

However, he said, the Government of Sri Lanka was willing to continue dialogue with the OHCHR on these matters, and hoped that in the future the proper procedures would be followed before issuing such unsubstantiated statements that lacked in balance with regard to the truth and actuality.

The Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Dr. Palitha Kohona, said a senior officer of the United Nations of the rank of High Commissioner for Human Rights was expected to consult the relevant government before issuing such statements. The High Commissioner had not consulted the Sri Lanka Embassy in Geneva, the Minister in charge of Human Rights in Sri Lanka or any relevant government official in making this unilateral statement, and such action was highly regrettable.

He said the UN Secretary General had sent a high official – the UN High Commissioner for Humanitarian Affairs, at the invitation of the President, to study the situation here and report to him and the Security Council.

The United Nations was not established to find fault with or castigate member states but for the purpose of engagement on resolving issues, he said. Stating that both the allegations made and the figures stated were not substantiated, he expressed the hope that High Commissioner Navanethem Pillay would give Sri Lanka the opportunity to clarify the matters stated without any substantiation, and present the actual situation to the OHCHR, the UN and the world.

With regard to the references in the OHCHR statement to the military targeting civilians in the safe zones, Dr. Kohona said that the previous evening the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, in a telephone conversation with President Mahinda Rajapaksa, had appreciated the assurance given by the Sri Lankan Defence Secretary that civilians would not be subject to attack in any form by the security forces.

The statement by the High Commissioner by using figures approximating those of Tami Net, other LTTE front organizations, and of late by the International Crisis Group (ICG) was playing right into the hands of the LTTE propagandists seeking a ceasefire for the LTTE to regroup, recover and resume the terrorist war against Sri Lanka, and could be seen as an effort to breathe life to the dying terrorist tigers, he said,

Referring to comments about international crimes stated in the OHCHR Press Release, Dr. Rohan Perera, Legal Consultant to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said any alleged acts should cross a certain threshold to be considered as international crimes, which required that that acts referred to should be widespread, systematic, and form part of a systematic plan or strategy, none of which was found in the situation in Sri Lanka, adding to the subjectivity of the statements by the OHCHR.

Answering a question from the media whether here were suspicions of the High Commissioner for Human Rights Navanethem Pillay, having connections or being influenced by the LTTE, Dr. Palitha Kohona said the government did not have any such suspicions and neither did it believe this to be the case, but was concerned at the figures and allegations made by the Office of the High Commissioner being so close to what was said by the LTTE and its agents.

Minister Samarasinghe also said the Government did not have any suspicions or reservations about the High Commissioner having links to the LTTE, and this was confirmed by the government’s readiness to continue dialogue with her on matters relating to Human Rights in Sri Lanka, and the current developments in particular.




 

 
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: July 22, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.