|
President Mahinda Rajapaksa called on all
those pressuring his government, both
locally and internationally for an extended
“humanitarian pause” or a ceasefire, to
instead appeal to the LTTE to give freedom
of movement “just for one hour” to innocent
civilians stranded in the No-Fire Zone (NFZ),
in the North.
“If the LTTE gives such freedom was given
to the Tamil civilians held back by it for
nearly 30 years, no one could prevent them
coming of their own free will to the
government controlled areas”, he said.
He was addressing a gathering of
ayurvedic physicians, Justices of the Peace,
and representatives of farmer organizations
at Temple Trees, Colombo April 18.
Evan as he made this statement the
military reported that more than 2,800
civilians crossed over from the NFZ, where
the LTTE is still holding several thousand
civilians, to government controlled Safe
Zone. This is the largest number of
civilians to cross over from the war zone on
a single day in the last few months.
In contrast during the recent 48-hour
pause of offensive for during the
traditional New Year period – April 13 & 14,
there were hardly any civilians who crossed
over from the NFZ, which by then had 68,000
who had fled to freedom. This was so during
the 48-hour pause announced by the President
in January 2009, too.
President Rajapaksa said the operations
of the government Armed Forces were not
aimed at the Tamil people but against a
terrorist group and they did not harass or
put the Tamil people into any difficulties,
although but some politicians were alleging
violation of human rights against him, the
Defence Secretary and the Army Commander.
They would rather face the gallows than
betray the country, he said.
He stressed that some decisions made for
the sake of the country may not please some
people but such decisions were necessary for
the benefit of the people, especially the
unborn generations, the President said.
Earlier on Friday (17), Mr. Rajapaksa
maintained his government took crucial
decisions on the basis of national interests
and expected support from the international
community without any hindrance or
disruption.
Addressing workers of the Sri Lanka
Freedom Party (SLFP), Mr. Rajapaksa
maintained that the LTTE leaders trapped
within a few square kilometres of the NFZ
would meet their end soon
“They have only three alternatives.
Either they have to surrender to our armed
forces, eat the cyanide capsule and commit
suicide, or plunge into the sea.” Mr.
Rajapaksa claimed that when the people
accepted his Mahinda Chinthana policies and
elected him as the President, they were not
concerned about their hunger. “They were
solely concerned about the future security
of their country. They wanted their
motherland to be free from terrorism, and
fragmentation as per the agreements inked
between the terrorists and the past
governments.”
|