News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 10.12 GMT
Now 49,000 more civilians in Safe Zone

 

Tamil civilians arriving to the Safe Zone from the no fire zone (NFZ) between yesterday (20) and today (21) have risen to 49,058, defence sources at 3 pm SL time today. More are expected to arrive in the course of the day.

There were more than 65,000 civilians who had fled the LTTE in the Safe Zone last Sunday - April 19.

President Mahinda Rajapaksa has told British Prime Minister Gordon Brown there was no necessity for a pause a military action as requested by the British leader, in view of this exodus of civilians from the hold of the LTTE.

The security forces rescued nearly 3000 civilians early this morning and advanced to the vacated areas. Troops have now established their positions across the NFZ from Puthumathalan to the beachhead, these sources said.

Aerial observation yesterday revealed that a small group of terrorists had been firing indiscriminately at a group consisting of several thousands of civilians attempting to cross over to the cleared areas through the northern borders of the NFZ.

Troops of 55 Division yesterday received 5863 of these civilians who had managed to escape the terrorist grip.

"The civilians said they were fired upon by the terrorist as they crossed over to the cleared area. They brought 3 bodies with them along with several dozens of others having gunshot injuries.

They said that they had to leave behind many others gunned down by the terrorists", the defence.lk special correspondent at Chalai said.

"These civilians curse not only the LTTE but also those who support the outfit. All they request from the soldiers is to beat the Tigers soon and to rescue their kith and kin still held hostage by the terrorists", he added.

Meanwhile, defence sources in the 58 Division area said that 17 civilians were killed and 373 others including 11 children were injured yesterday as the terrorist attacked the civilians with three suicide bomb blasts and machine gunfire. The injured were rushed to the nearest hospitals while some of them under serious conditions were airlifted.

Meanwhile, Sri Lanka Navy rescued 2167 civilians arrived in 103 boats.

 


 


 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: July 22, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.