|
On inquiry by British Prime Minister
Gordon Brown with regard to the status of
his Special Envoy to Sri Lanka, President
Rajapaksa has informed that Sri Lanka’s
position on the non-acceptability of the
said appointment remained unchanged.
This was a told at a telephone conversation
between President Mahinda Rajapaksa and
Prime Minister Brown yesterday – April 20
The Sri Lankan President also said a pause
in military action requested by the UK Prime
Minister was unnecessary considering the
exodus of 35,000 civilians from the No Fire
Zone to safety in government areas
yesterday, and subsequent developments.
Following is the Media Release from the
Presidential Secretariat in yesterday’s
telephone conversation:
The request by British Prime Minister Gordon
Brown for a pause in military action was
deemed as unnecessary by President Mahinda
Rajapaksa considering the unexpected exodus
of 35,000 civilians to the cleared areas
from the No Fire Zone (NFZ). This was said
by President Rajapaksa during a telephone
conversation initiated by the British Prime
Minister, yesterday – April 20.
President Rajapaksa observed that this
movement of civilians had evoked a
completely new situation and he had
instructed that additional consignments of
food, medicine and other essentials be
dispatched to these civilians are now
sheltered.
He explained that the people took to fleeing
to the cleared areas amidst shooting and
other forms of intimidation by the LTTE, now
holed up in the NFZ. Subsequently by evening
hours, another 5,000 people had moved out of
the NFZ along the beach front to the North,
he said.
President Rajapaksa pointed out that he has
a responsibility to take care of the welfare
of these civilians and is committed to
providing the required facilities and
conditions. He assured the British Prime
Minister that these displaced persons would
be re-settled in their areas of habitation
within the shortest possible time, following
the clearance of landmines, which is being
done with the assistance of the UN, and when
the environment is secured. He also referred
to the need for infrastructure development
in Kilinochchi and other areas that had been
under LTTE control all these years.
With regard to the political process,
President Rajapaksa outlined that once
terrorism has been eliminated, political
proposals in terms of the Sri Lankan agenda,
which are at present being formulated will
be presented. He elaborated that already
steps had been taken to implement the 13th
amendment to the Constitution. He hoped that
the Tamil National Alliance which had
hitherto rejected his invitation to
participate in political consultations would
participate in this process in the near
future. The President also explained to the
British Prime Minister that he envisages the
holding of Local government elections in the
district of Jaffna within the next two
months.
On inquiry by Prime Minister Brown with
regard to the status of his Special Envoy to
Sri Lanka, President Rajapaksa informed that
Sri Lanka’s position on the
non-acceptability of the said appointment
remained unchanged.
The President stated that this situation had
been further compounded with the
participation of the appointee at a
Conference held in London recently where it
was resolved to establish a sovereign state
of Tamil Eelam, which is the doctrine of the
LTTE, and the remarks he had made therein.
He stated, however, that in deference to the
traditional warm relations between the two
countries, that while there is a standing
invitation from Sri Lanka to the UK for a
high level visit, a cross-party
parliamentary delegation could also
undertake a visit for which the timing could
be worked out through diplomatic channels.
21st April 2009
Presidential Secretariat
Colombo
|