News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 07.59 GMT
Ceasefires don’t work with LTTE - Foreign Minister to Canada

 

The LTTE had used the pause in military operations to strengthen its fortifications in the Civilian Safety Zone and actively prevented civilians from leaving. It was only after the Sri Lankan security forces breached the embankments and bunds constructed by the LTTE on 19th April, that civilians were able to flee from LTTE captivity in their thousands, said Minister of Foreign Affaires Rohitha Bogollagama to Minister of International Co-operation of Canada, Beverly J. Oda.

Responding to a call by the Canadian Minister for a ceasefire, Minister Bogollagama gave a detailed account of the developments that led to the escape of more than 200,000 civilians from the clutches of the LTTE into the cleared areas in recent days. He reiterated the Government’s commitment to protect the civilians inside CSZ.

The Minister described the process of registration of the IDPs in the presence of UNHCR officials and also explained the facilities that the Government has provided in the transit camps and welfare villages, with the support of UN and international humanitarian agencies, which had full access to these sites. He reiterated the Government’s commitment to resettle 80% of the displaced civilians in their original homes by the end of this year. He invited the Canadian Government to assist Sri Lanka in this humanitarian endeavour, by contributing to the rebuilding of the war damaged infrastructure and amenities in the North.

In particular, he sought Canadian help in de-mining areas previously controlled by the LTTE, which it had deliberately mined, making such areas hazardous for human habitation.

Sri Lanka and Canada enjoy a longstanding and multi-faceted relationship, which has been strengthened through their common membership of the Colombo Plan, the Commonwealth and the United Nations System, said Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Sri Lanka greatly appreciates Canada’s support in its counter-terrorism efforts, notably by its proscription of the LTTE in 2006, as well as the subsequent listing of front organizations of the LTTE, Mr. Bogollagama said.

The Canadian Minister of International Co-operation, Beverley Oda, reciprocating Minister Bogollagama’s comments, stated that Canada also values its relationship with Sri Lanka and pointed out that her Government had proscribed the LTTE as soon as they took office in 2006. She expressed her satisfaction over the humanitarian measures taken by the Sri Lankan Government, including moves to reunify families and resettlement of civilians in their original villages. The Canadian Minister agreed to consider Minister Bogollagama’s request for infrastructure development support and assistance for mine clearance.



 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: May 06, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.