News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Monday, May 11, 2009 - 06.20 GMT
Another 1000 civilians break out of captivity

As LTTE mortar fire kills many

 

Defense sources have reported in that over 1000 civilians broke out of the conflict zone at the Mullaitivu end over 24 hours, ending noon, May 11. The LTTE sentries, initially overwhelmed, recovered and opened fire on the fleeing civilians.

The sentries were then heard on intercepted radio communications calling the LTTE command centre for reinforcements. The LTTE responded with mortar fire which fell within the conflict zone. Around 250 were injured or killed due a combination of fire opened by LTTE sentries and mortar fire. However, more than 750 managed to make it out to safety. At least 250 others escaped through different passages.

The doctors in the conflict zone were heard on intercepted communications saying that they had no facilities to treat the badly wounded numbering about 250.

The incident was widely reported in the international news media quoting a website well known for Tiger disinformation, accusing the government forces of killing civilians. A health official who is reportedly in the Tiger controlled was quoted by the BBC as having said that so far 378 civilian have been killed by shelling from the Sri Lankan army. Sources in Colombo said that the health official is in no position to give an independent account as he is virtually another captive of the Tigers.



 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: May 11, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.