|
Sri Lankan troops who pushed 800 meters
deeper into the New Safety Zone, Wednesday,
May 13, are now set to launch a major
operation to rescue civilians held hostage
by the LTTE.
Military sources said troops were proceeding
with extreme caution as the humanitarian
operations to rescue civilians reach a final
stage. Brig. Shavendra de Silva, General
Officer in-charge of 58 Division, was quoted
in the media saying “we believe that the
LTTE would be left with no option but to let
the civilians out of its grip. Our focus at
the moment is on innocent citizens held
hostage by the Tigers. We would target the
Tiger cadres and leaders only after all the
civilians are evacuated from the NSZ”.
The military has gathered considerable
documentary evidence to prove that at least
on three occasions the Tigers fired
artillery within the NSZ. “It was also in
possession of evidence to show the LTTE was
destroying permanent buildings in the NSZ
and setting on fire vehicles filled with
properties of the civilians. The obvious
game plan of the LTTE is to put the blame on
the military. Their days are numbered” Brig.
Shavendra de Silva said.
Among the heavy weapons of the LTTE found
by security forces is a Multi Barrel Rocket
Launcher (MBRL) used by the LTTE was found
by troops of 58 Division conducting a search
and clearing operation in
Karyalaimullivaikkal on Wednesday morning.
Troops of 11 Sri Lanka Artillery serving
under 57 Division uncovered an LTTE aircraft
engine and some accessories in a search
operation conducted in Thevipuram.
The army Tuesday night thwarted what
would have been one of the last LTTE counter
attacks on troops now positioned south of
the no fire zone.
In an attempt to drive out the 59
division troops who had crossed the
Waduvakkal Bridge to reach the southern edge
of the No Fire Zone earlier in the day, the
LTTE had launched a two-pronged assault.
Four explosives-laden LTTE craft
approached the newly liberated area. A
sizeable group of terrorists who had come in
two large boats landed a little distance
away from the northern most positions held
by the 59 Division. Three of the suicide
craft were blown up, military sources said.
|