News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Friday, June 19, 2009 - 6.25 GMT

Tamil protest in London ends after 73 days

 

The 73-day protest of Pro-LTTE Tamils in the UK demonstrating over the alleged plight of Tamils in Sri Lanka has ended.

The protests which began as the defeat of the LTTE was fast approaching, led to violence directed against the High Commissions of Sri Lanka and India in London as well as other Diplomatic Missions friendly to Sri Lanka.

The BBC reported that the protest featured hunger strikes, mass sit-ins, alleged blocking of central London roads and people throwing themselves into the River Thames.

"After 73 days, nothing has worked. The Tamils have been betrayed by the international community,” said one of those involved, Ambi Seevaratnam.

Protesters have at times clashed with police in Parliament Square, which some Members of the House of Commons supportive of the protestors described as "Tiger Square".

Last month, a senior Metropolitan Police officer warned the long protest was diverting resources from other areas.

“If it continued it would have a "long term" impact on crime, said Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson.

Police in London chose not to use force to clear the protesters, but maintained a 24-hour presence, with the cost of the operation exceeding £10m.






 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: June 20, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.