News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 9.02 GMT

End of war brings back tourists - The Independent

 

The end of the war in Sri Lanka has resulted in a rapid jump of the number of tourists coming to the country, states Britain's The Independent newspaper.

Quoting Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority the new paper reported tourist arrivals in July increased by 28 per cent.
It also said tourism has long been a key source of revenue for Sri Lanka, which enjoys no fewer than seven UNESCO World Heritage sites, and plenty of idyllic beaches.

The war finally ended in May and now it appears that Westerners are beginning to return. In an effort to encourage the resurgence in visitors, the government recently announced a major new 4,000-acre tourist development 100 miles north of Colombo at Kalpitiya, the newspaper further stated.

“We are confident of achieving at least similar to last year’s figure and revenue. Our target is to get 2.5 million tourists and $2.5bn (£1.5bn) revenue in 2016," said Director General of Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority.




 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: August 18, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.