News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 07.58 GMT

Reintegration of ex-combatants before month’s end

 

The Action Plan for implementing the National Framework Proposal on Reintegrating Ex-Combatants will be finalized before the end of this month, said Disaster Management and Human Rights Minister, Mahinda Samarasinghe.

The framework is designed to minimize the risk of socio-economic marginalization and increase employability of ex-cadres among other things.

“Overall it is designed to prevent the recurrence of the worst kind of man made disaster; terrorism and conflict,” he said. United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon also expressed interests in the re-integration of ex-combatants during his visit to Sri Lanka in May, soon after the operations against the LTTE concluded.
The Minister said the Disaster Management and Human Rights Ministry will play a coordinating role to put the donor community in touch with different line ministries.

The Ministries Defence, Justice, Health, Women’s Affairs, Foreign Employment, Vocational Training, Labour, National Integration and Social Services are to play an active role in the rehabilitation and reintegration process.

The rehabilitation of ex-combatants, surrendees and child soldiers had been carried out by the Government since the appointment of the Commissioner General of Rehabilitation in 2006.

The national framework proposal was officially presented to President Mahinda Rajapaksa on September 18 in the presence of visiting UN Under Secretary General for Political Affairs, Lynn Pascoe.






 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: September 22, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.