News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Friday, October 30, 2009 - 5.30 GMT

Failure to maintain integrity of GSP + impacts not only SL
- Michael Foster

 

The failure to maintain the integrity of the GSP plus scheme has an impact not only on Sri Lanka, but on the other 14 countries that benefit from the scheme, whose people benefit from improved human rights, said British Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development Michael Foster during a debate on Sri Lanka at the British House of Commons. The UK treat all countries in the GSP plus scheme objectively, he said.

The scheme incentivises and assists vulnerable economies to achieve standards in sustainable development, human rights, labour standards and good governance. Countries apply to join the scheme—it is not forced on them—and in doing so, they commit to implementing 27 UN conventions, Mr. Foster said.

Responding to the Opposition spokesman with regard to the internally displaced persons (IDPs) situation in Sri Lanka he said, “The UN High Commissioner for Refugees has estimated that at least 70 per cent. of the civilians could find accommodation easily with host families. The latest figures, which are from 24 October, show that 35,822 people have been transferred to their home areas, principally in Jaffna, and that 16,490 vulnerable people have been released to institutions or host families but were unable to return to their homes. That is a total of some 52,300 people. In addition, about 3,000 people have been transferred to new closed welfare centers. Those figures show the scale of the transfers that have taken place so far”.

The Government of Sri Lanka has recently announced that 60,000 IDPs will be released in the next month. So, on top of the 30,000 who have been released since my previous visit, there is the potential for the Government to meet their 80 per cent. release within their 180-day framework, he further said.

Mines are a real threat—we should not underestimate the scale of the mining operations—but the work that those people do and the speed at which land can be cleared gives us the confidence that there is the scope and the capacity for people to come out of those camps and go back to their towns and villages, he said.

“I went to one of the minefields in the Mannar area, where the mines action group project to clear the mines, which is funded by the Department for International Development, is taking place,” he said .

Last week I announced that a further grant of £500,000 will be given to a specialist de-mining organization called the HALO Trust, for mine mapping and heavy mines clearance in the Mullaitivu area. Again, that will enable a speedy return for people from the camps, Mr. Foster said.





 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: October 30, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.