News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 6.01 GMT

UN Humanitarian Chief welcomes SL move to empty welfare centers

 

United Nations Under-Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Sir John Holmes commended the Sri Lankan government's move to empty the welfare camps for the displaced civilians in the North by the end of January 2010.

At a press briefing on his return to US from Sri Lanka, Mr. Holmes said that half of the camps have been emptied now and less than 135,000 IDPs remain in welfare centers. Some 1,000 to 3,000 people are returning home daily, he said.

"When I was in Menik Farm at the end of last week, the number of people there was less than half of what it had been at then end of the hostilities," he said.

The UN Under-Secretary was in Sri Lanka on a three-day tour on an invitation by the Foreign Minister. He visited Jaffna and welfare centres including Menik Farm in Vavuniya.

The government on Sunday announced that all IDPs will have total freedom of movement from 1st of December and by 31 January all IDPs will be resettled.
 







 

 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: November 24, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.