News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 5.17 GMT

Conditions in welfare centres improved – David Miliband

 

“The recent announcement by the Sri Lankan government that, as of 1 December all remaining IDPs have been granted freedom of movement, is a positive step”, said British Foreign Secretary David Miliband in a statement at the British Parliament on the situation in Sri Lanka.

We believe the opening of the camps and granting of real freedom of movement will enable the thousands still living in the camps to start to rebuild their lives, he stated.

Conditions in the welfare centres have improved. In recent weeks there has been some progress in the return of IDPs. As of 6 December, the UN has confirmed that over 158,000 IDPs have been released. Of this number approximately 29,000 vulnerable people had been transferred to host families or institutions. This leaves less than 112,000 people left in the Menik Farm site and less than 15,000 people in camps in other locations, Miliband further said.

In order to assist this [resettlement] process, the UK Government has been funding the work of demining NGOs such as Mine Advisory Group and HALO Trust to help make areas safe for return, he stated.

"We will continue to help clear landmines, to provide transport from the camps and to help civilians to restart their lives so they can return home quickly and safely," Foreign Secretary said.

The recent announcement by the Governor of the Northern Province that international NGOs will also be allowed to work in these areas on agreed projects was also welcomed by the British Foreign Secretary.

“We welcome the fact that a number of national NGOs have now been granted access to some areas where IDPs are returning to such as Vavuniya, Mullaitivu, Mannar and Jaffna in the North”, he said.

He further noted that it is imperative that all humanitarian agencies are given full access to all IDPs, including ex combatants, so that they can provide them with the help and protection they need both in the camps and in places of return, and also stressed the Sri Lankan government to work towards genuine reconciliation between Sri Lanka’s communities.

Miliband also welcomed President Rajapaksa’s decision to appoint an independent committee to look into the incidents cited in the US State Department’s report.

British Foreign Secretary also stated that adequate arrangements must be made to ensure IDPs can vote in upcoming Presidential elections.

“It is important for all those who want to play a role in Sri Lanka’s future to agree to an inclusive political solution that addresses the underlying causes of the conflict”, he said.

With regard to GSP +, he said, “we are clear that, in order to continue enjoying access to the GSP+, Sri Lanka must meet fully its human rights obligations”.

He stated that the UK will continue to work directly with the Government of Sri Lanka and with international partners including the EU, UN and Commonwealth, to urge the Government of Sri Lanka to resolve the underlying causes of the conflict through an inclusive political process which addresses the legitimate grievances and aspirations of all communities - Sinhalese, Tamils and Muslims.







 


 

 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: December 16, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.