News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Monday, December 28, 2009 - 5.11 GMT

Indian experts assist de-mining

 

An Indian de-mining team is assisting the government to rid the North of landmines and other improvised explosive devices laid by the LTTE.

Maj K Raju and his team of de-miners from the Swiss Foundation for Mine Action (FSD) started work in the Rice Bowl area in Mannar and gradually worked their way to Periyathampanai and Pannivirichchan in Vavuniya district.

The total number of landmines in the North is officially estimated to be 1.5 million.

FSD had removed 4,589 anti-personnel mines and 12 anti-tank mines so far.

“The LTTE’s mines have 30 to 60 gms of explosive. A normal mine will have up to 30 gms. In Mannar, we found a house with 180 mines in it! The LTTE had apparently expected government troops to enter the house in large numbers,” Maj K Raju of Swiss Foundation for Mine Action said. The mines and other IEDs used by the LTTE are locally made. “We were familiar with the LTTE’s Jonny mines.

But this time we found mines carrying the inscription Maj Ilavazhuthi on them.

Perhaps, Ilavazhuthi was the designer of the new mine,” the Indian de-miner said.
 




 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: December 28, 2009.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.