News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 05.12 GMT

Sri Lanka appeals for priceless artifacts abroad

 

Sri Lanka would officially appeal to a number of museums in several countries as well as private collectors to return cultural and religious artifacts and statues spirited away from the country, Urban Development and Sacred Area Development Minister Dinesh Gunawardena said.

He said that the decision has been made after recommendations by a special Cabinet - approved committee of scholars who handed over their report last week.

Stocks of Lankan artifacts were seized by the Portuguese, British and Dutch during the days of colonization.

The committee in its study has found that a number of historical and precious Sri Lankan artifacts are on display in museums in some countries and Sri Lankans who are interested in research, studies and viewing them are unable to do so as they belong to those countries legally, he said.

Minister Gunawardena said that President Mahinda Rajapaksa had expressed his desire to recover the archeological treasures that belong to Sri Lanka and diplomatic ties would be used to recover the country’s archaeological wealth.

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) would help Sri Lanka bring back the artifacts, the Minister said.


 





 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: February 24, 2010.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.