News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Monday, March 01, 2010 - 09.30 GMT

SL faces absolutely no risk even if there is delay in IMF disbursement – CB Governor

 

Sri Lanka’s economy faces absolutely no risk even if there is a delay in the disbursement of the third tranche of IMF assistance under a USD 2.6 billion dollar deal, Central Bank Governor Ajith Nivard Cabraal said yesterday.

"We are comfortable to face any adversity and hence there is no cause for any concern,’’ said the Governor who is attending a meeting of South East Asian Central Bank Governors in Kampuchea

"The IMF statement is clear that they are, by and large, satisfied with the program progress,’’ he said.

The third tranche of slightly over USD 300 million was due in March but will be on hold till most likely after the budget in April after a new parliament is elected.

The IMF itself has made clear that the delay in the disbursement will not have any material effect on the economy.

"The review will be completed only after May. It made sense for us to re-engage in comprehensive talks after the formation of the new cabinet following the election," the IMF mission chief Brian Aitken told reporters last week.


 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: March 02, 2010.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.