News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Monday, March 15, 2010 - 05.31 GMT

GSP+ loss can be mitigated – Cabraal

 

Steps had been taken to solve the problems that might be created by the loss of GSP+ trade concession, temporarily suspended by the European Union (EU) early last month, said Central Bank Governor, Dr. Ajith Nivard Cabraal.

He made this comment while addressing a gathering of trade unionists and government employees at the Sugathadasa Stadium recently.

We reduced the inflation rate while interest rates were cut down, and the per-capita income has been increased to US dollars 2000 due to newly introduced economic policies, quoting the CB Governor, the Island reported.

He further said the Government had maintained a strong economy even during a war the last three years, but now the economy would go from strength to strength in the post war period.

Cabraal said all those factors would help to overcome a possible loss of GSP+.

Sri Lanka received the GSP+ trade concession from EU in 2005 after the Tsunami disaster on December 26, 2004.
 

 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: March 16, 2010.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.