News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Friday, March 26, 2010 - 05.50 GMT

All measures taken to release Lankan crew of MV Talca

 

The Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama called for a report from the Sri Lankan Embassy in Oman on cargo vessel ‘MV Talca’ hijacked by Somali pirates off the Oman coast on March 23. Twenty Sri Lankan nationals were among a multinational crew on board this hijacked vessel.

The Minister requested the Missions in Oman and Kenya to obtain all details pertaining to the crew members and extend all possible assistance to ensure their welfare and expedite their release.

"I have immediately called for a report from the Sri Lanka Embassy in Oman since the incident had reportedly taken place off the Oman coast. The Sri Lanka High Commission in Kenya, which has been liaising with the Somali authorities on a number of previous occasions when ships with Sri Lankan crew had been hijacked in the past by Somali pirates, has also been instructed to monitor the situation," Foreign Minister said in a statement.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is closely monitoring the developments pertaining to the hijacking of ‘MV Talca’, which is registered in Hamilton, Bermuda and owned by Arabian Reefers Ltd in the British Virgin Islands. Since both are British overseas territories, the Foreign Minister has also directed the Sri Lankan High Commission in London to establish contacts with the British authorities with a view to persuade the company which owns this vessel to expedite the negotiation process and ensure the safety and wellbeing of the Sri Lankan crew on aboard this vessel. The Consular Affairs Division of the Foreign Ministry is also in contact with the local agent, ALF Shipping (Pvt) Ltd, in order to extend any necessary assistance to the family members of the crew members on board this hijacked cargo vessel.

Meanwhile, negotiations are underway to secure the crew members of a Saudi Arabian vessel ‘MV Al Nasr Al Saudi’ which was hijacked by pirates along the Yemeni coast and then moved to the Somalia coast on March 1 this year. This vessel sailed with fourteen crew members which included a Greek national who was the captain while the remaining 13 member crew consist Sri Lankan nationals.

"The Foreign Ministry will continue to monitor the situations pertaining to ‘MV Al Nasr Al Saudi’ and ‘MV Talca’ and take all necessary steps to expedite the release of the Sri Lankan crew members through the Consular Affairs Division of the Ministry and our Missions abroad," Minister Bogollagama further said.
 


 


 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: March 27, 2010.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.