News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 09.40 GMT

US military video leaked

 

A United States military video showing footage of shooting death of two Reuters journalists and 25 civilians near Baghdad , Iraq has been leaked, reports The Herald Sun.

The video, posted on whistleblower website WikiLeaks, shows an attack helicopter circling a group of men, some of whom were unarmed, before opening fire, the report states.

A senior US military official says the video is authentic and adds that the footage was of a July 12, 2007 fire fight involving Army helicopters in the New Baghdad District of eastern Baghdad, the report said.


Following is the full text of the report published on 06 April, 2010:


SHOCKING FOOTAGE: A GRITTY war video circulating on the internet that shows US troops firing repeatedly on a group of men in Baghdad is authentic, a senior US military official says.

The video, posted on whistleblower website WikiLeaks, shows an attack helicopter circling a group of men, some of whom were unarmed, before opening fire.

The military official said the footage was of a July 12, 2007 firefight involving Army helicopters in the New Baghdad District of eastern Baghdad.

Among those believed to have been killed in the attack was Reuters photographer Namir Noor-Eldeen, 22, and his driver Saeed Chmagh, 40. Two children also were wounded.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak publicly about the video, said the military could not confirm the identities of the Reuters employees in the film.

The Pentagon would not officially confirm the video's authenticity, despite repeated requests from The Associated Press.

"At this time, we are working to verify the source of the video, its veracity, and when or where it was recorded," a statement from US military headquarters in Iraq said.

The military also provided copies of portions of its inquiry into the July 2007 incident, again without confirming that the incident described in those documents was the same one posted by WikiLeaks.

According to a summary of the investigation, US troops acted appropriately.

Reuters employees were likely "intermixed among the insurgents" and difficult to distinguish because of their equipment, the document said.

"It is worth noting the fact that insurgent groups often video and photograph friendly activity and insurgent attacks against friendly forces for use in training videos and for use as propaganda to exploit or highlight their capabilities," it said.

The incident has been reported before, but the video had not been released.

The video provides a rare, disturbing close-up of modern urban warfare at a time when violence was near its peak in Baghdad and the US death toll was mounting.

In this incident, soldiers flying attack helicopters were called to assist ground troops who had been pinned down by small-arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades.

According to US officials, the pilots arrived at the scene to find a group of men approaching the fight with what looked to be AK-47s and at least one rocket-propelled grenade.

A military investigation later concluded that what was thought to be an RPG was really a long-range photography lens. Likewise, the camera looked like an AK-47.

WikiLeaks posts video and documents passed along by anonymous sources. They posted the video of the July 2007 firefight at "collateralmurder.com".

The shooters can be heard asking for permission to engage, and one says "Light 'em up!"

Some men drop immediately, while at least one can be seen scrambling to get away.

"Ah, yeah, look at those dead bastards. Nice," one shooter says.
The helicopters later destroy a vehicle that arrived on the scene to help a wounded man.

When ground forces arrive, the video shows what looks to be a child being carried from the vehicle and US troops saying the child should be sent to a local Iraqi hospital.

"Well, it's their fault bringing their kids into the battle," a cockpit voice can be heard saying.

Navy Captain Jake Hanzlik, a spokesman for US Central Command, said US forces in Iraq recognise many of the images in the video posted at WikiLeaks and have no reason to believe it is a fake.

However, he said, they were still comparing the video and audio to see if it matched their own.

Headquartered at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida, Central Command is responsible for US military operations in the Middle East and Central Asia.

Reuters said it could not verify the video was of its employees dying, even though it looks like one of the men killed had a camera over his shoulder.

The video was "graphic evidence of the dangers involved in war journalism and the tragedies that can result", said David Schlesinger, editor-in-chief of Reuters news.


http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/leaked-united-states-military-video-shows-the-shooting-death-of-two-reuters-journalists-25-civilians-near-baghdad-iraq/story-e6frf7lf-1225850254984









 


 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: April 07, 2010.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.