News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 6.45 GMT

Ottawa to bear $10mn cost on pro-LTTE protests

 

Ottawa City Council is to bear the cost of nearly $10 million spent to provide extra security during pro- LTTE demonstrations last year.

The Ottawa Citizen reported yesterday (4 August) that the Federal Government in Cananda has not responded to the request made by the Ottawa City Councillor, Eli El-Chantiry to reimburse the $10 million.

The City Councillor agreed that the $10 million the federal government gave the city was "never meant to go to things like the Tamil protests, but for on-going and continuous challenges in the nation's capital."

"I would love to be able to at least get an acknowledgement," El-Chantiry said. "To ignore it like it never existed, it's not fair."

A spokeswoman with Public Safety said in an e-mail to the Ottawa Citizen that "this matter is being reviewed."

The City Councillor does not believe it's fair for local taxpayers to pick up the costs of keeping the peace, Ottawa Citizen said. "Would Ottawa residents appreciate paying for the costs in Toronto, is a question I ask," the City Councillor stated.

Recently, the City of Ottawa did receive $10 million -- or $2 million a year to cover a five-year period -- to help pay for costs associated with national events or issues, such as policing for Canada Day or extra security when a foreign dignitary visits the capital, the report further added.



 

                   

 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: August 06, 2010.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.