News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Monday, August 09, 2010 - 6.27 GMT

First ship will enter Hambantota Port in November
First phase alomost complete

 

Construction of the first phase of the Hambantota Port project is almost complete, stated the Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA).

It confirmed that the first vessel was expected to arrive in November.

There would be a formal ceremony, on August 15, to mark the filling of the harbour basin with water, said Secretary of the Ministry of Ports and Aviation Ranjith Silva.

He confirmed that the first phase of the project would include bunkering, ship repair facilities and other services.

Hambantota is scheduled to become Sri Lanka's second largest port after Colombo. Construction, which has been led by Chinese companies, began in 2008.

When complete, the port is scheduled to have a 310 metre bunkering berth and a tank farm.

“Initial demand at Hambantota may be limited, especially given lack of storage,” an official with the Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) said late last year.

Hambantota is on Sri Lanka's south coast, close to international shipping lanes.

The port's bunker terminal, which is scheduled for completion early, next year, will have eight storage tanks.

The SLPA, which will operate the port, has said it plans to set up a subsidiary to hire barges to store and supply bunker fuel until onshore tanks are built.






 

                  (009)

 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: August 10, 2010.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.