News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 05.40 GMT

GSP+ loss, not a problem to do business - Italian Ambassador

 

The loss of GSP+ facility is not a problem related to the way of doing business in the country, the Italian Ambassador to Sri Lanka said.

The Ambassador Designate for Italy, Rubens Fedele made this statement at the 11th Annual General Meeting of Sri Lanka-Italy Business Council held on Friday in Colombo.

“We hope that measures will be taken to overcome problems [with the withdrawal of GSP +] with the foresight of businessmen. It is important to provide a solution without further delay. We are keen to help this country,” he said.

“We understand that certain businesses will be affected by the withdrawal of GSP+ facility. We are concerned of the problem. However, we had to follow the majority in arriving at this decision.

He said that organizations such as the Business Council are instrumental in building and strengthening the relationship between the two countries.

Last year has been a turning point in the history of modern Sri Lanka and would create a firm foundation for rapid economic development of the country, Sri Lanka Italy Business Council President Ranjit Jayewardene said.

In 2009, the value of Sri Lankan exports to Italy was US $ 438 million as against US $ 420 million in 2008. The recorded growth was four percent.

The imports from Italy last year was US $ 166 million as against US $ 219 million in 2008. The balance of trade last year was US $ 271 million in Sri Lanka’s favour.

It was also proposed to have an agreement to formalize the large amount of remittances coming from Italy into Sri Lanka.



 


 

                   

 
   
   
   
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: August 17, 2010.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.