|
Remnants of the LTTE are trying to regroup in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu and launch attacks on Indian political leaders, Indian intelligence warned.
According to Indian media reports, an intelligence input has revealed that the LTTE, still active overseas, is trying to regroup and planning to launch spectacular strikes on high-profile targets like Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi.
Indian intelligence has discovered from the information received from some LTTE cadres who escaped from Sri Lanka during the battle last year that brought an end to the LTTE, that the LTTE was planning attacks on top Indian political leaders, particularly when they travel in Tamil Nadu.
Indian security agencies have taken the findings seriously as Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is likely to visit Tamil Nadu next month to attend public functions.
Tamil Nadu Director General of Police Letika Saran said they have received the alert and were taking all precautions.
“Yes we got the message, but message or no message we take all precautions for all VVIPS. This intelligence input from Central agencies is about a plan to attack the Prime Minister and the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. This is about intentions. We are on high alert and all this time we are extra alert. But we have no information about regrouping of LTTE cadres,” Letika said. India is apprehensive of the resurgence of LTTE, which is banned in the country following the suicide attack on the former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in Sriperumbudur on May 21, 1991 by a female LTTE suicide bomber, during an election campaign.
Sri Lankan Deputy Minister of Rehabilitation Vinayagamoorthy Muralitharan giving evidence before the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission recently said that assassinating former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was a mistake and it turned India against the LTTE.
India declared the LTTE an unlawful association in 1992 a year after Gandhi's assassination and since then has extended the ban every two years.
The Union Home Ministry extended the ban in May 2010 stating that despite its decimation in Sri Lanka, LTTE was re-grouping in Tamil Nadu and its cadres remaining in India, especially in the southern Tamil Nadu state, could use the state as a rear base to resurface.
|