News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Tuesday, July 05 , 2011 - 04.20GMT

Travel restrictions for foreigners to North lifted

 

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) yesterday lifted the travel restrictions it had imposed on foreign travelers to North.

Foreign passport holders including journalists are no longer required to produce a travel document granting MOD approval at the Omanthai entry/exit point, the main travel check point located in Vavuniya, the Ministry said.

Foreign travelers were previously required to get permission from the MOD before travelling to the northern districts of Jaffna, Kilinochchi, Mannar, Mullaitivu, and Vavuniya.

"As normalcy is flourishing in the country we see that travel restrictions to foreign passport holders as no longer required", the ministry website said.

This is a definite sign that the country is heading in the right direction with the rapid reconciliation and development taking place in Wanni and North the Ministry website further said.





 

                   

 
   
   
     
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: July 05, 2011.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.