|
Britain’s phone hacking controversy shows how a media organization that may seem credible one day could lose all that credibility the next day, Sri Lanka’s Acting High Commissioner in the UK, PM Amza told the Asian Tribune adding his voice to the ongoing debate. “What I am saying is that it shows a media organization could lose credibility overnight,” he opined.
The scandal-hit News of the World tabloid in the UK closed down on Sunday following allegations of hacking into phones of the public, including murder victims, relatives of fallen soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan and those of 7/7 bombings in London, in order to get their scoops.
It led to a public outcry, and big time advertisers ditched the paper, leading to its closure, after being in existence for 168 years.
However, Acting High Commissioner said the phone hacking incident is a “local matter” which also shed light on the conduct of the British media.
He also said that the Sri Lankan government is looking into all aspects on what action could be taken against the channel 4; the high commissioner said adding that he was not in a position to elaborate on it at present.
“All I could say is that this documentary was a sinister move to discredit the Sri Lankan government as I have repeatedly said,” he added.
Last month, appearing on a live debate on the BBC radio, Amza denied outright charges against the government questioning channel 4’s “vindictive campaign” against Sri Lanka, stated the Sri Lankan High Commission in London.
Refuting unsubstantiated allegations in “Sri Lanka’s Killing Fields”, Acting High Commissioner P M Amza questioned the motive behind Channel 4’s vindictive campaign against Sri Lanka.
Emphasizing that Sri Lanka has set a domestic mechanism in motion to look into all matters of concern Acting High Commissioner Amza pointed out glaring errors in the film and instances where the broadcaster has taken the liberty even to misrepresent what is heard in Tamil.
|