News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Wednesday, August 10 , 2011 - 03.40 GMT
Catholic Church condemns attack on pilgrims in TN

 

The Roman Catholic Church in Sri Lanka yesterday condemned the attack on a group of pilgrims, who were on their way to Vellankerny in South India last week, allegedly by a group of LTTE supporters.

"Over 100 Sri Lankan’s who were members of the Dehiyangatha Parish in Ja-Ela, accompanied by Rev Fr Terrence Bodiyabaduge and Rev Fr Patrick Perera, were the victims," the church said.

The Sri Lanka Catholic Church also made a request to its counterpart in India to make proper security arrangements for the pilgrims who are visiting the religious site and ensure their safety.

It is the first time that a group of Catholic pilgrims had been threatened in this manner, a senior member of the church said.

It was revealed that the South Indian police had tightened security in the area surrounding the Vellankerny church following the attack.

A large number of Catholic devotees from Sri Lanka visit the Vellamkerny church in Tamil Nadu during this period.
 

 

 

                   

 
   
   
     
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: August 10, 2011.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.