News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Tuesday, October 12, 2011 - 06.15 GMT
Ex-combatants now full-fledged free citizens

 

It was a heart-warming sight to watch them entering the Temple Trees premises in single file, their faces expressing the solace of being saved at last from the mental and physical pressures, their eyes still experiencing the fear of death at any moment. But at that decisive moment, their eyes illumined with the excitement of the prospect of the experience of a new chapter in their life. They were shy and looked truly innocent.

Who are these visitors entering the portal of the Temple Trees? They are none other than the youthful ex-combatants who were recruited by the most brutal terrorist outfit in the world - LTTE. During the final phase of the humanitarian mission launched by the Sri Lankan government, their combatants chose to surrender to the security forces, and having been rehabilitated they were at the threshold of stepping into society as free citizens.

 

Historic occasion

Their families had come to receive them on this historic occasion. Eight thousand out of 12, 000 LTTE cadres had been rehabilitated and are now full-fledged citizens.

“I was kidnapped by the LTTE while I was following an IT course after sitting the A/L. in 2007. They gave me the basic training which was a bitter experience...

...I was home sick. My ambition was to be employed in the IT field...

...Luckily, I had the opportunity to surrender to the army when they recaptured the LTTE controlled area...

...At the rehabilitation centre, I had opportunity to learn English and followed a Course in Counselling...

...I am returning home today with a heart full of joy...” said Thushari Ramachandran, a comely girl from Vavuniya.

Her mother said, “I’m overjoyed to see my daughter again.” We will never forget her face, brightened with filial love.

Thirty one-year-old Sri Daran too narrated a similar story. “I am a father of two. We lived in Mullaitivu. I was employed as a bus driver...

...I too was kidnapped by the LTTE who gave me basic training. I had to serve them as a lorry driver. It was a strenuous and risky job. I had to keep vigil in the night in the jungle. The memory of my two little children pained me so much. My son was six and daughter, 11...

...But I had no alternative and had to obey the orders of the LTTE cadres. I am overjoyed to be a free man again. This opportunity is a complete surprise for me...”
Similar stories were narrated by 21-year-old Maheshwaran of Vishvamadu, 20-year-old Karan of Kilinochchi and 28-year-old Nalliah of Batticaloa. When the LTTE kidnapped Maheshwaran he was studying in Grade 10.

He served the LTTE during 2005-2009 served as a child soldier and a youth. He narrated the dangers he faced during the period.

Karan was captured by the LTTE when he was just 18. “I have no father. I was living with mother. I am happy I’m now able to see my mother”, he said. “While I was studying for A/L. the LTTE cadres captured me. My younger brother too was captured. He was killed in action.

I spent about nine months in LTTE custody. I was in constant fear of losing my life.
I wanted to study further and not to fight. Finally, I was able to escape from the LTTE and surrender to the army. I wish my brother were with me today”, said 28-year-old Mayuru of Jaffna. The above sentiments were expressed frankly by the captives of the LTTE who now feel the relief and joy of being freed from the clutches of the terrorists.

Now they are prepared to move forward and achieve their life aspirations without hindrance. Excellent performances of singing, dancing and acting by Shanthalingam Kopullan and his friends speak volumes of the aesthetic potential suppressed by terrorism. They danced carrying red roses, symbolizing youthful love. Their performances were an eloquent expression of the joy of the newly-won freedom.

 

Vocational training

Twelve thousand combatants received vocational training in the fields of agriculture, motor mechanism, masonry, computer proficiency and handicrafts. Their counsellors helped them regain their mental stability.

Having followed special academic courses, these youth had the opportunity of sitting the GCE O/L and A/L examinations.

Accordingly, 175 persons sat the GCE O/L examination in 2010 and 38 passed in all the subjects. Two hundred and twenty two out of 361 who sat the GCE A/L examination passed. It was significant that each one was qualified in Mathematics and Biology and 15 each in Arts and Commerce and to be admitted to the university.

Parents who had lost hope of ever seeing their children, at last, had the opportunity to see them in flesh and blood and as vocationally trained and academically qualified youth, at that.

We too felt an inner joy of meeting with our brothers who had been misled by brutal terrorists.

Now that we have regained fraternal bonds, we do not feel isolated. We together will be a source of strength to Mother Lanka, and will move forward along the path, illumined by the far-sighted leadership.

Samanmali Karunanayake

Translated by Lenin Divakara

Pix: Nalin Hewa Pathirana



 

 

                   

 
   
   
     
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: October 12, 2011.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.