News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 05.00 GMT
Trinco Port development to be expedited

 

The Sri Lanka Port Authority (SLPA) will call for Request for Proposals (RFC’s) for the development of the Trincomalee harbour in November enabling the private sector to invest in host of activities. SLPA Chairman, Dr. Priyath Bandu Wickrama addressing the “Key Person’s Forum” conducted by Federation of Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FCCISL) at Galadari hotel yesterday said that these would include opportunities in the newly set up industrialised zone, leisure and eco-tourism activities, Tourism zone initiatives bunkering and oil drilling activities.

“In addition, SLPA has also decided to call for RFC’s for the 500 acre Colombo Port City development project soon.”

The private sector would have more investment opportunities in construction, education, tourism and other related areas in this proposed Port city, where the sea would be reclaimed,” he said.

The Colombo restructuring project is scheduled to kick off before the end of this year and the project work is scheduled to be completed within 36 months.”

The objective of introducing RFC’s is to accommodate more investors for industrial projects rather than introducing tenders. “Sri Lanka has so far infused a large sum of money as long- term investments to increase the internal capacity of ports whilst making Sri Lanka a maritime and logistic centre in the Asia.”

“We have already invested nearly US $ 3 billion for port development activities whilst attracting US $ 2.2 billion private sector investments for the same purpose.” However, SLPA involvement in building a terminal in the Colombo South harbour has also been criticized by some parties.

The Colombo port is over congested and other technical restrictions at the port will have a major impact on future activities since the big players in the industry are looking at introducing extra larger vessels for maritime activities in the face of global economic turmoil.

“If the port is not ready to face the future requirements in the industry, many industry related institutions and businesses will have to close down their operations attributable to the present global scenario,” Dr Wickrama said. Commenting on the ongoing Ruhunu Magampura port activities, Dr. Wickrama remarked that “even though the rock blasting process has been a ‘pet topic’ in the local political arena in the recent past, technically they did not have any issue pertaining to it.”

“We have now managed to complete the ‘blasting task’ of the rock mass at Ruhunu Magampura port following a mathematical modern testing.” “We are also hoping to clear the all blasting materials before the end of this year.”


 

                   

 
   
   
     
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: October 27, 2011.

Copyright © 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.