|
|
|
Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 6.10 GMT |
|
35 out of 40 Tamil Nadu fishermen released by SLN reach Mandapam |
|
|
|
Tamil Nadu government on Tuesday said 35 of the 40 fishermen from the state who "drifted" into Sri Lankan waters following adverse weather conditions and wind power were brought back by the Indian Coast Guard to Mandapam, after they were released by the court.
"One of the five fishermen of a boat that started out of Pudhupattinam near Thanjavur has been rescued and brought to Rameswaram, another is feared drowned, while searches are on to locate three others," PTI reported quoting an official release.
Between December 18 and 29 last year, 40 fishermen in 10 boats had ventured into the seas from different coastal districts of the state and were pushed to Delft, Analai and Mullai isles of Sri Lankan waters by adverse weather conditions, it said.
35 fishermen in nine boats were handed over by the Sri Lankan Navy to the nearby police stations, the release said. The other boat from Thanjavur district sank near Analai isle.
"Since the weather conditions were not favourable, they could not be immediately brought back," it said.
|
| |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|