|
|
|
Friday, June 01 , 2012 - 06.08 GMT |
|
India extends ban on LTTE |
|
|
|
India has extended the ban on the LTTE by another two years under the provisions of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Indian Home Minister P. Chidambaram has said.
In a statement he said that in a vide notification dated 14.5.2012, the LTTE was declared to be an ‘Unlawful Association’ for a period of two years, under the provisions of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967.
The LTTE was first outlawed in India in 1992 under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, a year after a LTTE woman suicide cadre assassinated former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi. Since then, the ban has been extended every two years.
|
| |
|
|