Friday's confrontation between security forces and the LTTE operatives in Vavuniya has underscored the need to keep the military on alert, President Mahinda Rajapaksa's special envoy on human rights and Government Minister Mahinda Samarasinghe said.
Speaking to media after meeting with the chief prelates of Asgiriya and Malwatte Chapters in Kandy on Saturday, the Minister said the Friday's incident, where three LTTE operatives were killed by the security forces during a fierce clash, proves that Sri Lankan government has taken the right decision to keep the troops in the former war zone.
Minister Samarasinghe said at the United Nations human Rights Council (UNHRC) session in Geneva last month many western nations criticized the government for keeping troops in the North five years after the war ended and requested the Sri Lankan government to reduce the military presence in the North.
However, yesterday's incident shows to the international community, that the government took the right decision to maintain troop presence, the Minister said.
He said the Sri Lankan government will not resort to measures to jeopardize country's national security within a short period of 4 - 5 years.
Reiterating the call made by External Affairs Minister Prof. G L Peiris, Minister Samarasinghe said that Sri Lanka would not cooperate with the UNHRC in implementing the resolution adopted last month since Sri Lanka has no confidence in an international investigation to be conducted by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.