The Presidential Commission to Investigate into Complaints Regarding Missing Persons has received more than 398 new complaints during its public sittings in Mullaitivu that ended on Tuesday.
Chairman of the Commission Mr. Maxwell Paranagama said the Commission recorded submissions from 129 people from 23 Grama Seva divisions during its sittings in Mullaitivu from July 5 to 8.
“The new complaints were registered and complainants will be given fresh dates to make their submissions,” he said.
Mr. Paranagama said during submissions most of the people shared their own experiences during the last days of the conflicts and the hardships they had to face from LTTE while trying to cross the lagoon towards areas controlled by the Security Forces.
People told the Commission that they were treated well once they reached army controlled areas and were being escorted to different welfare camps.
Expressing their views about the presence of the security personnel in the area, people have told the Commission “their presence is peaceful”.
The Commission held sittings at the Pudukudiyirippu Divisional Secretariat and the Maritimepattu Divisional Secretariat.
Its previous public sittings were held in the North and Eastern provinces covering Jaffna, Kilinochchi and Batticaloa.
The Commission, to date, has received 18,789 complaints, and approximately 5,000 were from relatives of missing security forces personnel. The Commission has so far inquired into 462 complaints, which are being analyzed for further investigations through an independent investigation team.
The Commission appointed by the President on 14 August 2013, is mandated to inquire into and report on alleged abductions or disappearances during the period June 10, 1990, to May 19, 2009.