News Line

    Go to Home Back
Email this to a friend
Printable version
Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 04.59 GMT
Demining 98% has completed

 

The demining of all areas needed to restore civilian life in the North to normalcy has been completed. Announcing this, Media Spokesman of the Media Centre of the Defence Ministry Brig. Ruwan Wanigasuriya said nearly 98 percent of the and landmines in the Northern and Eastern Provinces have been cleared.

Speaking at a media briefing yesterday (Aug 27) he said only 80 square kilometers of the total of 5000 square kilometers remain to be cleared.

The Brigadier described this as a great achievement leading to restore normal civilian life in the conflict affected areas. Immediately after the war, it was estimated that there were landmines in an area of about 5000 square kilometres. All areas essential to civilian life have already been demined. Action has been initiated to demine a further area of about 80 square kilometres.

He said that the Army had made a total contribution of about 68 percent for the removal of landmines, while local as well as foreign Non-Governmental Organizations supported in the removal of landmines in the remaining 32 percent. He revealed that by now the Sri Lanka Army and foreign Non-Governmental Organizations are engaged in the removal of landmines.

Brig. Wanigasuriya added that the remaining 80 square kilometres within the North and the East are now being demined and that more landmines have been uncovered in the Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu Districts.



 

 
 
   
   
    MP
   
   

top

   

Contact Information:: Send mail to priu@presidentsoffice.lk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: August 28, 2014.

Copyright 2008 Policy Research & Information Unit of the Presidential Secretariat of Sri Lanka. All Rights Reserved.